Recent Posts

Friday, September 4, 2009

Kick It!


    So this week in my re visioning retail class we were each given a concept and a product.  With this information we had to make a materials board.  My concept was arcade games and I as selling shoes and socks/stockings.  I first researched the topic of arcade games and came up with two possible era's that I could focus my design around.  The first was the 20's and 30's when the pin ball machine first came out.  It was made of all wood and it was very mechanical.  These pictures would have been my inspiration if I were to take this route.

  

 


The second was in the late 70's early 80's when arcade games and video games just exploded.  Every kid was playing at the arcade.  Things became electrical instead of mechanical and new vibrant colors were used.  This was the era I chose to focus my design on.  I found a very inspirational picture on flickr which pretty much started my whole design.









After finding this picture I started to research some of the products that I wanted to sell and who I wanted to sell it to.  Since I chose the 70's and 80's era I decided to sell to the youth.  Sneakers and socks like this:


 




From there I started to form my space.  I knew I wanted to add aspects of certain arcade games, like the maze of pac man, and the flicker things that block the balls of pin ball.  So I chose to create my own display for the sneakers that was almost in a maze shape and was a game to try to reach the shoe you wanted.  I decided to imprint my inspiration image on the side of the display.  Different colors gradually turning into another color.  I also flipped this display and hung it from the ceiling to make it feel like the center of the room.  Next I designed cabinets/drawers that would line the side walls.  The doors of these cabinets would stick out 5" in the center and would be 8" apart.  The would never completely shut or open so when pulling something out of these cabinets like socks the doors would snap back to their position.  I next chose my floor, furniture, and lighting.

0 comments: