Recent Posts

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Free Your Mind!

So far in my design process I have come up with a couple ideas.  However I don't really have a clear vision of what I want the space to look like.  My concept so far is a combination of Converge and Twist.  The definitions are alike in that things are coming from different directions to make a whole.  I feel this ties in with the History of Greensboro being the "Gate City."  My vision thus far is to create these track/panel systems.  I imagine some sort of track system whether it be an actual track or maybe bars hanging from the ceiling.  These tracks would be coming from all directions and going in all directions like a railroad.  However there would be one point in the space where all of these tracks come together.  Then there would be paneled walls of different widths that could attach to these tracks and slide throught out the space.  You could put the panels together to make a room bigger or smaller.  It would be a way of being able to have a flexible space.  The panels themselves would probably be white but i need to do further research into that.  I also want to use glass somewhere in the space but I'm hesitant because of acoustics.  I would love my main structure walls to be red weathered brick.  The downstairs would be mostly for the gallery, collaboration studio, consultation room, and gallery store.  The upstairs however would be a cafe/lounge area.  No food would be served unless noted otherwise by a specific exhibition.  I would love the upstairs to be a bar/lounge however since it is university owned it probably wouldn't go over so well.  I imagine the outdoors to be very chic and modern with large sofas or chairs for people to sit on.  The indoor area of the upstairs would house mostly tables and chairs.  The cafe area would be mostly on the inside, however some of the bar would extend to the outside.  During nice nights when people are outside the bar would be open as one big area.  I would love to have some sort of panels that can be opened and closed to create an indoor/outdoor area or one big outdoor area.  I know that I don't want the skylight to be open to the first floor I feel it doesn't enhance my design at all and the natural sunlight coming from there would alter my design. 

2 comments:

denise smith: interior designer said...

hey, Christyn. i believe this is a very good start!! the track idea is fabulous. some images or sketches would be helpful, but you've explained your visions very well. how do you envision your lighting?

Brooke Elliott -- said...

Hey!
I love your idea of the tracks also! It would be cool to have all of the connect in one common area and disperse into the different areas designated to different activities! I also like the idea of the bar lounge, but I agree with the University issue. But, it would be an interesting place for students and the interested community to come and explore what the Hatchery actually does. Maybe you should explore this idea more in maybe just a lounge or coffee shop? so it wouldn't be so controversial with the university! Great ideas! Good luck!